Sunday 29 July 2012

Saturday: Cycle Road Race Day


Support cars before the start of the Race 

  I had a really exciting day yesterday and am now the champion driver of the Costa Rican team.  Because the team only had one cyclist in the road race yesterday they were not allowed an official team car in the race but were allowed to follow it!  Our team driver went with the spare bike parts in the Venezuelan car whilst I drove the ‘race’ car.  Firstly I drove in the convoy down to the top of Box Hill doing at least 50mph down the Mall 
Cycle Race at Box Hill feeding station
Team GB lead the Pelaton
– then whilst the cyclists did the time trial I sat in the sun and watched the big screen.  After the 9th lap around the hill the ‘spare’ cars then join the back of the race and head back to London.   So……. I was rallying at about 50mph along the lanes of Surrey,  through Richmond park, past Stamford Bridge and back on to the Mall again.  The crowds were fantastic and since I had got up at 5 o'clock in the morning I was driving on adrenaline and nothing else – a really exhilarating experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment